I have a passion for tea and decided I would incorporate it more into my cooking! Today I experimented with baking!! I used “Cream of Early Grey” available at DavidsTea stores across Canada and the U.S. or online (www.davidstea.com). It also makes a mean latte – give it a try!
This recipe could still use a little tweaking! I only made it once but my friends demanded I posted the recipe right away…so hear it is…tentatively!
3/4 cup dates
2/3 cups brown sugar
2 eggs (I use free-range)
1/3 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened)
2 cups flour (I use a gluten-free mix, but regular unbleached flour is fine)
**I would use a little less next time, my loaf turned out quite dense
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
3 DavidsTea perfect spoons (I believe they’re 1.25 tablespoons)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1) boil your water and steep your tea for about 6 minutes!
2) Mix dates, sugar and tea – LET COOL in the fridge. Do NOT skip this step because eggs come next and you don’t want to cook them
3) Pre-heat oven to 325F
4) Add eggs, almond milk and melted butter – stir gently
5) Add flour and baking powder – mix-well
6) Stir in almonds
7) lightly oil a 4×9 loaf pan and add pour in batter
8) Pop into the oven for 60 minutes
Serve with tea! I had mine with DavidsTea Kenyan Tinderet – another awesome tea by them!