Being half-Japanese, saying I love gyoza is an understatement! I was not going to give these up on my journey, so I modified my family recipe to pack in more nutrients and cut a few calories without sacrificing flavour!
Serves 3-4 (makes ~30)
– 1 cup ground turkey breast (or 1/2 cup pork + 1/2 cup lean ground beef)
– 1 carrot
– 1/4 onion
– 2 large kale leaves
– 1 egg
– 2 teaspoons ginger
– ~30 gyoza skins (store bought or recipe coming soon!)
1) finely chop carrot, onion, kale, and ginger
2) in a bowl mix the meat, vegetables and egg
3) take one gyoza wrapper, lightly wet half the edges with water (I place a small bowl of water near my station)
4) Place about 2 teaspoons (no need to measure) of filling in the middle of the wrapper
5) fold the sides to create a semi-circle and pinch the edges to seal
6) repeat until out of filling
Gyoza is traditionally fried, however, I steam them and am still satisfied!
1) Add 1 tablespoon of oil into a non-stick frypan and cook until gold brown (usually about 2 minutes)
2) Add 1/2 cup of water and cover until water is absorbed (usually about 6 minutes)
1) place gyoza in non-stick steamer for 13-15 minutes
Serve with desired dipping sauce (my favourite recipes coming soon!) and ENJOY!